Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 1997 20:04:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Walter Buszwatiuk <ersis@concentric.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD 2.2.2: routed error message

On Mon, 25 Aug 1997, Walter Buszwatiuk wrote:

> After setting up my ethernet ed0 adapter on FreeBSD 2.2.2 in rc.config:
>
> network_interfaces "lo0 ed0"
>
> ifconfig_ed0="inet 192.168.1.6 netmask 255.255.255.0"

> I get a recuring message:
>
> syslogd (date) (host) routed[53]: sendto(ed0, 224.0.0.2): No route to
> host.

> Nothing else is changed from the stock kernel, any ideas what is causing
> it?

That's from xntpd.  xntpd is trying to broadcast something on the
multicast channel and either you don't have a multicast route defined or
multicast isn't supported on your net.

You need to tell xntpd to try to contact the configured peer using unicast
instead of multicast.  This can be done by removing the -m flag from xntpd
in /etc/rc.conf or removing the 'multicastclient' directive from
/etc/ntp.conf or your xntpd configuration file.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo