Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 14:29:31 +0000
From:      ian j hart <ianjhart@freeloader.freeserve.co.uk>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail and Identd

Sorry about the length, need the context.

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> Ted Mittelstaedt                      tedm@toybox.placo.com
> Author of:          The FreeBSD Corporate Networker's Guide
> Book website:         http://www.freebsd-corp-net-guide.com

See my later comments on hierarchy.

> Unfortunately, while there's about 10 of these programs, none of
> them are in the ports.  I can send you instructions for building
> IMP on a FreeBSD 4.2 server, I can't guarentee they will work
> on a previous version of FreeBSD but they probably will.  But,
> you should also consider setting up a SEPARATE server just to
> implement this - the webinterface to the mailserver talks to
> the mailserver via IMAP and does not have to be actually executing
> on the mailserver itself.
>

> > >   I also beg to differ - this is very clearly a mail client
> > > problem.
> >
> > This I know, I have bald patches to prove it.
> >
> > > As you have realized, Sendmail does not rewrite the
> > > From: address.  This is because the mail client program is
> > > in charge of correctly putting the user@whateverdomain address
> > > into the outgoing mail.  This is inherent to the SMTP protocol.
> > >
> > >   Your blaming the failure of the user's mail client program
> > > to properly create the username@whateverdomain address on the
> > > mail client program itself.  However, this is wrong, the client
> > > program is doing what it's supposed to be doing.
> >
> > Not all the time it isn't. When the users home (network) directory is
> > available their email settings are transfered to whatever workstation
> > they are sat at. This is part of my plan to make the network as
> > transparent as possible to the users. It works just like *at home*.
> >

> Riiiiiggggght - I heard that from Microsoft's marketing department 4 years
> ago and I've still to see it actually work right.
>
> > However, when the network connection fails windows SILENTLY replaces
> > these settings with some from the local hard drive. This is not what the
> > client program is supposed to be doing. AFAIK IE4 does not exhibit this
> > behavior. The new _identities_ appear to be the cause. To revert the
> > software on all the clients would take me weeks. I would have to
> > roll-out the software in one go. (Having USER.DAT files from different
> > versions doesn't strike me as a good idea.) The bottom line on this is
> > that I would have to wait until the summer break.
> >
> > So I can't fix the client. Turning off email for 4 months not an option.
> > I have to hack the server. Hobsons choice as we say.
> >

> I don't see how you can do that, even with lots of hacks into the
> mailserver.  Unless the correct From address is passed from the mail client
> during the SMTP phase, there is no other way for the server to identify
> the userID of the sending SMTP connection.  This is one of these issues
> that fixing or replacing the client is the only option.

But I have an Identd server which runs on the windows clients. Sorry if
I didn't make that clear. I can run this as a service from the system
policy setup. This will not appear in the task list. A clever user might
figure out how to kill it, but I can cope with a low volume of hackers.
(I built a tool to parse the NT login file. I just compare this with the
time stamp and real host name on the mail.)

> > >   If you give your users the ability to retrieve e-mail via
> > > POP3 and transmit it via SMTP then you give them the
> > > responsibility to make sure that the From address is correct.
> > > If they are unwilling or unable to do this (due either to
> > > their misunderstanding how the client program operates, or
> > > due to their logging in somewhere and allowing some mystical
> > > "thang" to change the From address) then clearly you have
> > > to either force them to use a mail client that they DO understand,
> > > or force them to use a mail client that they have no control
> > > over, and that you do.  This is what IMP is.  IMP is a mail
> > > client that runs ON THE MAILSERVER, instead of on a remote
> > > desktop, so instead of having a remote client that has unreachable
> > > settings, you have a mail client that is local to the mailserver
> > > that YOU can control.
> >
> > I see the problem more like this. When a user logs on they should get
> > their own email settings, or none at all. Not a seemingly random
> > selection. This is _my_ problem.
>
> Then your going to have to replace the client.  You can do it one of 3 ways
> as I see it:
>
> 1) Replace the existing client on the desktop with a different one (Eudora,
> or an earlier version of IE or whatever)

I agree that this is the right option, but I don't have the time to
rollout the software.

> 2) Replace the existing desktop-based client with a host-based client.
> Early
> versions of this are MUA's like Pine, but I doubt that you want to give
> Telnet access to 1500 students.  Later versions of this are webinterfaces,
> a-la Hotmail, like IMP.
>
> 3) Modify the desktop client you have deployed to make it do different
> behavior.  Since your a Microsoft shop, you should be able to call Microsoft
> up and pay them some money to patch the .DLL or whatever file is involved,
> right?  After all this is why your using commercial software to begin with -
> the support, right?  Sorry if this is sounding like a taunt, but your
> administration voted Microsoft for the support - now they need the support
> and so it's Microsoft's chance to prove why commercial software is so
> much better than Open Source.

All the software is OEM - no support. But it is cheap(er) <bg> and
schools are poor in the uk.

> >User missconfiguration or deliberate
> > spoofing is a different problem.
> >

> > > I also beg to differ with your statement:
> > >
> > > "...No-one checks account details every time
> > > they mail...."
> > >
> > > Guess what, _I_ do.
> >
> > You are one in a million (estimate).
> >
> > > I'm sure that any power users among
> > > your students do also.
> >
> > Not a chance. Age range is 11-17 BTW.
> >
> > > It's simple enough to do when using
> > > a mail client program like Eudora, which _does_ place the
> > > Microsoft Outlook which hides it.  In fact, that's another
> > > answer to your problem - because Eudora doesen't give a rat's
> > > ass about what drive your logged into.
> >
> > I wouldn't dissagree, but they want windows + IE. This is policy, I just
> > implement.
> > In any case installing Eudora would mean a full rollout.
> >

> If they want Windows + IE then they have to play the commercial software
> game, which means getting on the horn with Microsoft and having them
> fix the problem.  It may be expensive, but Microsoft has convinced these
> people that Windows + IE is the way to go, so now they have to live with
> the results.  If Microsoft is so much better than Eudora, then Microsoft
> can fix it.
>
> I think your wasting time chasing a mirage.  Accept the fact that you
> can't fix it on the server and go forward.

If you think my checkcompat() is broken can you say how?

> It's easy enough to set up

> a webinterface to the mailserver, then deny relaying from your internal
> subnets and issue an edict that all students must use the webinterface
> for e-mail.  After all you already have the web browsers all deployed,
> so you won't have to do a rollout to all 1500 desktops.

Maybe I threw you a curve ball here. We do have 1500 users, but we only
have ~150 workstations. That's why we hot seat. Schools are somewhat
underfunded in the uk.

>  If your administration
> starts yapping about it, then tell them that they can either do it this
> way or they can call Microsoft and avail themselves of the superior
> commercial
> software support that Microsoft's marketing department is always yapping
> about, and get a patch issued for the new mail clients.

Hierarchy: They are Gods, I am the office cat. In fact I am THE
technician. I wear all the hats, from network coordinator to bottle
washer. I suspect your experience of schools is vastly different to that
of the uk.

> In the long run your going to be better off because future rollouts on
> the desktops won't bugger the mailserver.  Your students will be better
> off because they can go anywhere, such as home or a local Cafe or library
> that has a web browser, and access their e-mail.  It also neatly solves
> problems like Macintoshes and OS/2 systems being unable to use the
> mail system.  In short, this is something that you should have done a
> long time ago.

Our history of even IntrAnet access is only three months. We are a
decade behind over here. :( I could go into the history, but I don't
want to rant.

This is a private mail hub fed through a firewall. There are NO dialins.

--
ian j hart
ICT Technician