Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 2002 19:15:11 +0100 (MET)
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade from Adaptec 2940UW to 29160N - Problem solved!

"Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com> wrote:

> So I bought a used Adaptec 29160N (Ultra160) off eBay, swapped out
> the old 2940UW and swapped in the 29160N.  No go.  Now the FreeBSD
> BootManager refused to boot from my one and only partition on the
> drive.  It would just prompt me enticingly with that "F1" prompt
> but then just beep whenever I tried to hit return or the F1 key.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the prehistoric "fdisk" table.

Now you might know why we introduced "dangerously dedicated mode" ages
ago, where there is no true fdisk table, but instead the BSD disk
label right away in block #0.  (There's a fake fdisk table still, but
nobody cares about that.)  That way, the disk is portable between
whatever "geometry" the BIOS implementation might believe into, since
the very first 15 or so blocks are basically always located at the
same coordinates, irrespective of the "geometry" imposed.

I'm surprised that even different Adaptec controllers now start to
experience that geometry mishmash.  Previously, this was only a known
symptom when migrating a disk from a Symbios Logic based controller to
an Adaptec one.