Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2003 16:04:07 +0100
From:      Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: several background fsck panics

Thus spake Terry Lambert (tlambert2@mindspring.com):

> A manual fsck can deal with corrupt data.

[...]

Yes, I recall the discussion about WC on ata vs. softupdates a few
months back.  I even have it disabled on more important machines than
this one :-)

> The panic was not, in fact, a result of the background fsck
> itself: it was a result of an attempt to access FS structures
> by the kernel through the FS, assuming -- incorrectly -- that
> the FS structures were in a self-consistent state.

Actually I don't care _where_ the panic happened.  If I hadn't manually
interupted the boot process, this kernel would have booted and paniced
on that error for the next three years.  I could fix that by simply
doing a manual (background_fsck=NO), so something is "broken", for some
definition of broken:  If my system panics, I call that "broken".

We claim background fsck as a "cool new" feature in the release notes,
which is even the DEFAULT, including WC on ATA disks, which is ALSO the
default.  So , and if this is broken, there is a serious design flaw,
which must be fixed.  It doesn't help to explain why the error is there,
the next user will have the same error, running a verbatim system.

Ciao

Alex