Date:      Wed, 1 Jan 2003 11:30:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (OT) non-keyboard ascii characters

On Wed, 1 Jan 2003, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> Subject: Re: (OT) non-keyboard ascii characters

> > > Didn't wok for me in pine or nedit, although this may be charset
> > > dependent. Which apps does this work for you in? xterm?
> >
> > I don't use any Unix / Linux MUA's, it works for me in Squirrelmail (webmail
> > app) & Outlook Express.
> >
> > Just tried it in the Joe text editor & it works fine on standard ASCII
> > characters, but produces unpredictable results trying to use extended ones.
>
> That's probably because joe(1) shows ASCII characters 128-255 in its
> own special way when you don't fire it up with the -asis option.
> Running it with `joe -asis' or enabling the same option in your .joerc
> file should work fine.

Thanks for all the suggestions. One thing I've learned from it is that it
varies from app to app and also with font/charset. Oh well, I expected it
to be non-trivial.

Taking a hint from XChat, I wrote a little C app that spits out the ASCII
character I want, then I just copy/paste it into the app I'm using.
Doesn't work everywhere, but it's somewhat consistent while running X.

JB

#  John Bleichert
#  http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg