Date:      Mon, 6 Jun 2016 04:45:18 +0200
From:      Mateusz Piotrowski <0mp@FreeBSD.org>
To:        soc-status@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Week 2 / Non-BSM to BSM Conversion Tools / Problems with mapping and NFS

Hello,

Mapping
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
I read some contrib/openbsm source code to get the idea of how I should =
implement the conversion from the Linux Audit format to the BSM format.=20=

It turns out it is a little bit more complicated than I thought at the =
beginning. It is not obvious to me yet how I should map the Linux Audit =
format to the BSM format.=20

On one hand I can try to map as many Linux Audit audit fields to the BSM =
fields as possible; it seems to be rather troublesome. On the other hand =
I can ignore the whole mapping issue and just create a proper BSM trail =
using the header token, trailer token and a bunch of arbitrary data =
tokens to pack all the Linux audit events there.=20

The best approach would be something in the middle I guess. I wasn=E2=80=99=
t able to come up with a neat solution on my own yet however; I=E2=80=99ve=
 got to present my research to my mentor and ask for advice since I=E2=80=99=
m stuck.

Here=E2=80=99s an email I=E2=80=99ve sent to freebsd-hackers@ where I =
asked for help with understaing how the /etc/security/audit_event file =
works =
(https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2016-June/049550.html=
 =
<https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2016-June/049550.html=
>). I didn=E2=80=99t receive any answer yet.

Parsing
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
I felt a little bad about the fact that I=E2=80=99ve not wrote a single =
line of code yet. This is why I decided to start writing a parser for =
the Linux Audit trails. I=E2=80=99ve got to ask my mentor if it =
wouldn=E2=80=99t be smarter if I adopt the code which parses Linux Audit =
trails since it is already written =
(http://people.redhat.com/sgrubb/audit/audit-parse.txt =
<http://people.redhat.com/sgrubb/audit/audit-parse.txt>).

NFS
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
My mentor suggested me to set up FreeBSD with NFS. I tried really hard =
to get it working. My virtual machine fails to boot basically. I created =
a step-by-step tutorial for future reference: =
https://github.com/0mp/freebsd/wiki/Set-up-FreeBSD-with-NFS =
<https://github.com/0mp/freebsd/wiki/Set-up-FreeBSD-with-NFS>. It is =
mainly based on the oshogbo=E2=80=99s tutorial =
(http://oshogbo.vexillium.org/blog/28/ =
<http://oshogbo.vexillium.org/blog/28/>).=20

I=E2=80=99ll update the tutorial as soon as I fix my NFS.

New repository
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
I have a new repository: https://github.com/0mp/freebsd =
<https://github.com/0mp/freebsd>.

Midterm evaluation is coming
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Hopefully, I=E2=80=99ll manage to catch up with at least some of my =
milestones which I planned to reach before the midterm evaluation. I =
simply cannot work full-time on my GSoC project due to the exams coming =
soon.

Outdated Wiki
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
I didn=E2=80=99t update my Wiki page in a while because I=E2=80=99m =
struggling with the mapping issue. The link to the project=E2=80=99s =
Wiki: =
https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCode2016/NonBSMtoBSMConversionTools =
<https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCode2016/NonBSMtoBSMConversionTools>.

Cheers!