Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 12:01:26 -0800
From:      Mike Thompson <miket@dnai.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Remote Administration of Webservers

At 09:26 AM 1/11/99 +1000, you wrote:
>  Is there a way to hook up a console box or something the the freebsd
>  box, so that if we recompile the kernel, and it fails to reboot, we
>  can change kernels, or if there's a fsck error, that we can run
>  fsck, and fix it up - even though the network hasn't yet started?

Ken,

We are setting remotely administered FreeBSD systems under a similar
configuration.  In our case each FreeBSD server will be configured
to use COM1 as it's console rather than the built-in keyboard/monitor
ports.  To get access to the console we will be installing an
inexpensive FreeBSD admin system with a multi-port serial card
with each serial port connected to a server.

If a system goes down or needs to be booted into single-user mode
for system maintenance we can do it completely from the the admin
system by using SSH to get access to the admin system and then using
tip to get access to the serial port of the server.

We will also be using IPFW (kernel firewall) to configure each
FreeBSD server in a very secure manner.  Having access to the serial
port will allow us to remotely tweak the IPFW configuration without
worrying about completely losing remote access to the server.

About the only thing we can't do is cycle the power on the FreeBSD
servers, but we can phone a tech at our colocation facility to do
this for us.  We are also considering getting a serial line controlled
power switches such as the kind sold by American Power Conversion
(www.apcc.com) for this purpose.

A complete and reliable administration solution will be very important
to us because our servers will be about 20 miles from us.  However
when me move some servers across the country this configuration will
be paramount.

I would be eager to hear of anyone else's experience with configuring
FreeBSD for secure and reliable remote administration.

Mike Thompson