Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 09:31:39 +1100
From:      Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: arplookup llinfo

I wrote:

> Since I enabled a ppp-over-tcp link into this box, I've been getting the
> following errors:
>
> Sep 17 16:31:40 hellcat /kernel: arplookup 192.168.72.178 failed: could not a
> llo
> cate llinfo
> Sep 17 16:31:40 hellcat /kernel: arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo for 192.16
> 8.7
> 2.178rt

Thanks to Ruslan for his assistance.  This was caused by a
configuration error on my part.  A route to the LAN at the remote end
was added statically to the local host, plus (due to the "add HISADDR"
entry in the the ppp.conf file) was being added and deleted dynamically
by ppp whenever the link came up/went down.  Having two routes to the
one net, one via tun0 and one via xl0, was confusing the arp system.

The easy fix was to delete the static route and let ppp add and delete
the route as necessary.  The only cost of this is packets destined for
the remote LAN bouncing between the local host and the default router
whenever the ppp link is down.

Greg.