Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 21:17:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
To:        stuart@eclipse.net.uk (Stuart Henderson)
Cc:        wheelman@nuc.net, jgreco@ns.sol.net, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, kpielorz@tdx.co.uk, rjebara@palnet.com
Subject:   Re: Hardware RAID for FreeBSD

> > I'm not sure about the speed of the SmartRAID V stuff (U2W
> > suite), but the configuration is all done through the BIOS now.
> > No DOS App is needed to configure.
>
> Bios is no better than a dos app if it's a critical system and
> you have to reboot to reconfigure so you can add more disks :(

In all fairness, I believe someone was porting the DPT tool set to
FreeBSD.  However, for me at least it will be too little too late.
The DPT has several limiting factors, including the overall capacity
that it is able to deal with (three SCSI busses).  The Mylex is
available in a five-disk-channel configuration, cabling is much less
a problem since you can put the Mylex external, and it works well.
The Mylex can also use up to 256MB cache RAM and has battery backup.
For the heavier applications, you can also hook up two hosts (leaving
you with four drive busses) or two Mylexes in a redundant "partner"
configuration that is reportedly even faster...  or several other
combinations of the above.  All of this can be configured via serial,
front panel, or (for the finer nuances) via a DOS software utility.
You can actually build a RAID5 with nothing but the four buttons on
the front of the controller.

I think my next choice would be the Vinum RAID5 stuff... if I could
ever get it to work.

... Joe