Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2000 11:08:57 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel option NBUF, what does ist means?

>Dear Sirs.
>For non kernel developer the additional options in LINT for kernel
>configuration are little secrets and it is said, that some of them
>could 'tweak' a standard kernel to be more powerful when getting
>tweaked and the system it runs on is to be a server (I read some
>articles about Linux vs. FreeBSD in a German magazine and it has been
>mentioned that tweaking makes FreeBSD faster for serving purposes).
>
>One of the secret parameters seems to be NBUFS. it is set to 512 in
>LINT, I set it to 4096 this time to see whats going on. Can anyone
>offer me a hint on this parameter?

   Yes, you should not define it in your kernel config so that the system will
properly auto-tune it to the best value based on your physical memory size. In
fact most of the parameters found in LINT are that way - they are there to
document that they exist, not to ecourage people to specify them.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
President, TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.