Date:      Sat, 27 Jul 2002 11:16:44 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Ed Yu <edlyu@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: converting linux kernel modules to bsd modules

On Fri, Jul 26, 2002 at 04:12:11PM -0700, Ed Yu wrote:
> Is this the right email list for this question?
> Well, subject said it all. I need to a conversion for
> a module. Is there any tool to do some work for me (or
> even allow the module to just run?) or do I need to
> read up on BSD modules (I'm new at FreeBSD
> programming) and do the work myself? Any pointer would
> be helpful.

It's good enough, although most of the hard core kernel types hang out
on freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org.

In general, there is no automatic way to port a Linux kernel module to
FreeBSD.  The Linux kernel and the FreeBSD kernel are very different
animals.  You'll need to make yourself into a competent FreeBSD kernel
programmer, which is quite a tall order if you've never done anything
of that order before.  If you're familiar with the internals of other
OSes, you shouldn't find it too dificult.

The good news is that having all the source from a Linux kernel module
should tell you practically everything you need to know to write an
equivalent BSD module.

If you're intending to release the module, be careful about licensing.
In order for a module to be included into the core system, it has to
be released under an appropriate BSD style license --- not the GPL.
Which means that you can't reuse any GPL'd code from the Linux module.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK