Date:      Fri, 5 Nov 1999 05:52:02 +0100 (CET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
To:        root@ihack.net (Charles M. Hannum)
Cc:        dmmiller@cvzoom.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ESS 1868 driver (again)

> Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it> writes:
>
> > guys, you should realize that the ESS1868 codecs (and friends)
> > are extremely unfriendly to the programmer, and possibly
> > (according to Sanpei comments) broken in their handling of
> > auto-dma.
>
> ??
>
> I wouldn't say the interface is *pretty*, but the only problem we had
> with these chips under NetBSD was figuring out how to differentiate
> the various models.  They work reasonably well, and we do use
> auto-initialize DMA.  (Several people are even using them in stereo
> systems, as the ES1887 is what's in the Shark.)

ok, the comment about auto-dma was just related to what i heard from
other people who tried to add ESS support to the pcm driver.
I should also mention that one of the goals of "pcm" was support
of full duplex audio.
I just gave up on the ESS after seeing how complex it would have
been (in terms of changes to the pcm driver) to make it work in
full duplex as well as in other modes.

	cheers
	luigi