Date:      Sat, 12 Feb 2000 16:32:03 +0100
From:      ron@zappa.demon.nl
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>, "Shwim" <shwim@purdue.edu>
Subject:   Re: Going to attempt installation to a Compaq Presario 1690 Laptop

Hello,

I have an Compaq Presario 1546 and tried for a few weeks to get
4.0 current working, browsing the mailing list and the web for tips,
without any luck so far.

3.4-STABLE didn't work either.

Ofcourse it installs from cdrom and runs ok, but it don't recoqnise
sound, modem and I didn't get my pccard cards  working correctly.
Didn't try soundcard or video because network must work first.

The problem is that the pccards seem to initialise correctly, but
network packets don't get through, some packets got through very
slowly, tried all irq/mem setting I could set.

Yesterday I have installed Slackware 7, to test if my laptop could
run unix, because I couldn't disable PNP in the bios.

It worked straight away. And I have tested it with all three cards I
have, 3C574TX pccard , 3C589 pccard and Xircom Realport 10/100
Cardbus.
All ok.

I leave it installed for now, I prefer FreeBSD, but Linux is always
better than Winblows.

I guess FreeBSD is not ready for the big variety of laptops out there
yet, I look again in a few months...

FreeBSD runs a mail server and a firewall overhere, so I can still
play with it alot.

Regards,
Ron.