Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 1998 10:52:52 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More breakage in -current as a result of header frobbing.

> > FreeBSD's problem is that everyone has 'broken' the tree enough times
> > that no-one is willing to brandish the 'big stick' to whack people for
> > making bad commits.  If you've got no negative feedback, then you've got
> > no reason to test changes.
>
> More to the point, it's far more damaging to alienate and potentially
> lose an existing volunteer than it is to have the tree occasionally
> broken, as much as I might whine about that from time to time.

To a point, I agree.  But, if that is indeed the case, then why isn't
Terry a committer?  He may damage the tree, but we're definitely
alienating him.

We can't have it both ways.  Either we have an *enforced* policy of
actually punishing offenders (which may offend them and cause them to
run away), or we don't have any policy at all and so claiming to have
one only alienates and makes us look foolish.  The recent brokeness in
-current is a *really* sad state of affairs that could have been easily
avoided.  However, many committers (myself included) know that in
reality there is no punishment for breaking the tree, so why bother
testing things more heavily when someone is going to end up doing that
work for me?

I think recently we have the worst of both worlds.  No enforced policy
and volunteers who take advantage of it.

> We have to consider who we are and how we got here - this isn't

We got here by people who put out quality/tested software.  This appears
to no longer be as important as it once was to many people, including
many people in core.

Nate