Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 2002 23:19:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alp ATICI <atici@math.columbia.edu>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   icc status on FreeBSD

I was just looking into the icc port on FreeBSD.
It tells on freshports site that it does not produce
native executables but objects and linux compatibility
base is necessary. Is it possible (with cooperation with
intel) to completely port icc to FreeBSD (and make it
compatible with libc so that it will be possible to compile
FreeBSD kernel sometime.

I was asking the same question to intel guys (through
premier.intel.com which you can register for free) and they
haven't heard about FreeBSD port. I don't personally care how
"open source" anything is, if it really produces extraordinary
machine code in the end. With version 6.0 of icc one would be
able to compile linux kernel. I hope with some cooperation one
could do the same with FreeBSD.

I respect the gcc effort, but if icc is as good as it is told to be
then it could supersede (at least in intel community) gcc.
What is the general sentiment and the will for cooperation about
porting icc to FreeBSD?
Alp