Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 2004 12:03:33 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Jon Noack" <noackjr@alumni.rice.edu>
To:        "Michael Hopkins, Hopkins Research" <michael.hopkins@hopkins-research.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trouble making NFS work with Mac OS X

Michael Hopkins, Hopkins Research wrote:
> I keep reading that Mac OS X is very easy to get working other machines
> using open standards.  This is not my current experience after two
> fruitless days messing about with NFS, but I am no network expert so maybe
> I am missing something really obvious - or maybe it's the FreeBSD box that
> is giving the problem?
>
> Anyway, I have tried to follow all the rules; see below.
>
> NFS server on a FreeBSD 5.3 box         IP: 192.168.0.2
> NFS client on a Mac OS X (10.3.6) box.  IP: 192.168.0.5
>
> I want to export the /home directory on the server to the client using
> NFS.

Just a wild guess without actually reading the whole email:
By default FreeBSD does not create a seperate partition for /home.  /home
is actually a symlink to /usr/home.  From the exports(5) man page:
"The pathnames must not have any symbolic links in them and should not
have any "." or ".." components."

Therefore you may need to export /usr/home instead of /home.  This works
wonderfully for me (although my clients are FreeBSD as well).

Jon