Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 17:01:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
Cc:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Debugging SMP instability (was Re: HEADS-UP: await/asleep removal imminent)

:I did some research on this and am convinced that at least some video cards
:would work as memory buffers for KTR logs.  Specifically, someone mentioned
:to me yesterday that their Matrox Millennium II flashes the X desktop
:during startup from a previous invocation across warm boots.  (I pursued
:some alternatives and found the PCI RAM cards to be prohibitively expensive
:(more than $700), and sound cards to not have enough RAM except on old
:SoundBlaster AWE cards.)

    My Voodoo 3 2000 does the same thing... crash, reboot, bring up X,
    and the original pre-boot display flashes before X reinitializes
    the screen.

						-Matt