Date:      Sat, 3 Mar 2001 16:29:17 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problem with sio in -current ... possible cause of hangs?

Morning all ...

	I'm trying to get my serial console to work on my desktop, and
appear to be failing miserably at even just getting it to accept a 'getty'
serial connection, let alone serial console ...

	First, my X/mouse runs on /dev/ttyd1 ... if I startx, my mouse
does work, but X hangs *very* quickly.  Based on this, I know that
/dev/ttyd1 does work, at least for a short time.

	Now, to confirm ... a NULL modem cable *is* pin 2->3, 3->2, right?
rx->tx, tx->rx?  I've tested the cable using a multi-meter, just to make
sure that it is doing what I expect ...

	If I plug my cable from /dev/ttyd0 -> /dev/ttyd1 on the same
machine, run getty on /dev/ttyd1 and use kermit to connect to /dev/cuaa0,
I get no response back, which is why I'm wondering about sio ...

	I've also tried connecting my serial port on my laptop to both
/dev/ttyd0 and /dev/ttyd1, and run getty, and that doesn't get any login
prompt either ...

	Since, albeit briefly, I know that /dev/ttyd1 does work when X
starts up, I'd expect that getty would give me a login prompt if I enabled
it on that port, no?

	I'm running -CURRENT as of Feb 27th, and am just about to upgrade
again ... dmesg shows my sio devices as:

sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
sio0: type 16550A
sio1 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa0
sio1: type 16550A

	Which look right to me ...

	I've scan'd /usr/src/UPGRADING to see if there was something in
the past that I might have missed concerning sio, but couldn't find
anything ...

	And, sio is defined in my kernel as simple 'device sio' ...

	Thoughts?

Thanks ...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org