Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 2001 05:22:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>
To:        rnordier@nordier.com (Robert Nordier)
Cc:        rizzo@aciri.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot1 changes and etherboot support

> Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>
> > I have spent some time trying to put etherboot[1] code onto the
> > hard disk so that it can be selected using the FreeBSD boot
> > manager. I ended up doing it with a small amt of modifications
> > to the "boot1" code, for which a patch is attached.
> >
> > Maybe it could be interesting in applying this patch to the standard
> > boot1 code (apart for the PRT_BSD change, which should be unmodified).
>
> The size of the boot1 code must be <= 446 bytes.  The code already gets
> customised a lot, for example, in embedded work and space needs to be
> left to allow for that.  So I wouldn't personally be in favour of adding
> this to the standard boot1.

If your point is that boot1.s should be some basic loader that
people can easily customize, then i kind of understand and share
your opinion.

On the other hand, the ability to load a rom image is very useful,
so i wonder what do you think is the best approach among the following:

  + put some conditional-compilation code in boot1.s
  + have a separate file, say bootrom.s, maybe in the same directory
    as the existing boot1
  + pass the modified code to the etherboot people so they can include
    in their source tree.

in all sincerity i'd love to have this code in the FreeBSD source tree
rather than have to resort to some external repository.

	cheers
	luigi