Date:      Tue, 04 Nov 1997 13:57:01 -0500
From:      Chris Vance <cvance@tis.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        cvance@tis.com
Subject:   absolute pathname in kernel

Is there any easy way to obtain an absolute pathname from within the
kernel?  I would like to calculate the absolute pathname during the
execve system call.  For the most part, shells and programs use a full
pathname, but this doesn't necessarily have to be the case.  There
doesn't seem to be any simple way to get this information.

Assuming no simple way exists, what is the next best solution.  Just
start from the vnode of the current directory and keep going up one
until the root is reached?  In doing this, how would a pathname
components be extracted?  Would I need to open and read the parent
directory until a match on the current directory is found?

thanks,
chris.