Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 02:03:21 -0600
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        developers@FreeBSD.org, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD performing worse than Linux?

* Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> [011127 23:08] wrote:
> I've just been talking with a friend of mine from the Samba team.
> He's about to change jobs, and a lot of his work in future will
> involve FreeBSD.  He's just been doing some performance testing, and
> while the numbers are pretty even (since he discovered soft updates
> :-), he's noticing some significant performance differences,
> particularly on the TCP/IP area.
>
> He is going to be sending me a copy of his preliminary report later
> today, and he doesn't mind sharing it.  I'm a little concerned about
> the "Them vs. Us" attitude such a report could cause.  He's not out to
> show that Linux is better than FreeBSD; on the contrary, he would be a
> lot happier if the results were in favour of FreeBSD, since otherwise
> he has to do something about it.  I'd like a few of us to take a look
> at what he's done first, and either point out where he can tune the
> FreeBSD system, or how to find and eliminate the bottlenecks.  Who's
> interested?

I'm somewhat interested, it obviously depends on the level of detail
and depth of this report, if it's as shallow as your and Nate's
'rumors' then I probably won't be able to help as I'll be too busy
switching all my machines over to Linux rather than doing the legwork
to get down to the bottom of this alleged performance problem.

:P

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
                           http://www.morons.org/rants/gpl-harmful.php3