Date:      Sat, 22 May 1999 19:05:14 +1200
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   disk layout for install

I'm trying to set up a new instalation of 3.2-RELEASE on a 10.2 gig IDE drive.
 Everything looks OK when I'm installing, but once I get to the boot loader it
just beeps whenever I try to select any of the boot options.

After an initial failure at a straight network install,  I installed by first
laying out the disk, then going into fixit mode and ftp'ing the core
distributions onto a spare area of the drive, then installing from the mounted
file system.

I made 3 partitions.  In order, a 2 GB DOS partition, a 4GB BSD partition, and
a 3.5GB BSD partition.  I'm not sure what happened to the other 700MB, but the
installer said that was all that was there.

The installer comes up with a different drive configuration to what the drive
says on it's case.  The case says 16383 Cylinders/16 Heads/63 Sectors.  The
installer initially said the disk had 256 Heads. and less Cylinders (didn't
write down the number)

I read an old post in freebsd-stable which said that the root partition had to
be within 1024 *virtual* cylinders of the start of the disk.  Does that mean I
can just set the number of  heads as I like and the disk driver will behave as
though it were true, or do I have to lay out the  disk with a small DOS boot
area at the start and then the BSD boot area?  If I can set  the number of
heads that the system thinks it has, does this impact on performance?

Andrew