Date:      Tue, 07 Sep 1999 20:41:57 -0800
From:      gamedev@oddhack.engr.sgi.com (Jon Leech)
To:        Multiple recipients of list OPENGL-GAMEDEV-L <OPENGL-GAMEDEV-L@fatcity.com>
Subject:   ANNOUNCE: Linux ABI/SDK standards for OpenGL/Mesa

    We've had a group (including representatives from LSB, Mesa, Metro
Link, NVIDIA, PTC, Precision Insight, SGI, XFree86, and Xi Graphics)
working on a proposal for standardizing X11 OpenGL/Mesa ABI and SDK
issues on Linux. The purpose is to allow applications to build against
any implementation following this standard and the resulting binaries to
run against any other implementation; this interoperability will be
increasingly important as the amount of 3D activity on Linux grows and
the variety of drivers increases even further.

    The "0.9" draft of the proposal can be found at

	http://reality.sgi.com/opengl/linux/linuxbase.html

    A mailing list has been created for further discussion and
finalization of this proposal. We're unable to follow discussions in all
the forums where this announcement is being made, so if you want to have
an effect, please join this mailing list. We particularly solicit
participation by ISVs writing OpenGL-based applications on Linux, IHVs
writing OpenGL drivers on Linux, and Linux distributions.

    To initially subscribe to the list, send a message with body

	 subscribe oglbase-discuss

    to 'external-majordomo@corp.sgi.com'.

    To participate in the list after you've subscribed, send messages to
'oglbase-discuss@corp.sgi.com'.

    To unsubscribe to the list, send a message containing the body

	unsubscribe oglbase-discuss

    to external-majordomo@corp.sgi.com.

    Jon Leech (For the Linux/OpenGL Base working group)
    SGI
-----
FAQ and OpenGL Resources at:
  http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/9956/OpenGL

Author: Jon Leech
  INET: gamedev@oddhack.engr.sgi.com

Fat City Network Services    -- (619) 538-5051  FAX: (619) 538-5051

------- =_aaaaaaaaaa0

--
  The views expressed above are not those of PGS Tensor.

    "We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce
     the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know
     this is not true."            Robert Wilensky, University of California

------- =_aaaaaaaaaa0--