Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 1997 18:02:13 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question about making a new machine from an old one

OK.  I have a new machine I'd like to bring online.  I'd rather not
download the latest snapshot, but do have a complete -stable tree that
I just built that I'd like to place onto a disk and then boot that
disk on the new machine.

As near as I can tell, from looking at the makefiles, I would do
something like the following:

disklabel new-disk
newfs new-disk-a
newfs new-disk-d
newfs new-disk-e
newfs new-disk-f
mount new-disk-a /gerbils
mkdir /gerbils/usr /gerbils/var /gerbils/home
mount new-disk-d /gerbils/usr
mount new-disk-e /gerbils/var
mount new-disk-f /gerbils/home
cd /usr/src
make buildworld
cd /usr/src/etc
make distribution DESTDIR=/gerbils
cd ..
make installworld DESTDIR=/gerbils
<fake up a fstab on /gerbils/etc>
umount /gerbils/{usr,home,var} /gerbils

Then take the disk to the new system and run /stand/sysinstall to
configure the system in single user.

Have I missed anything?  Is there an easier way to do this that
doesn't require that I grab a snapshot?  What's the smallest subset I
can install that would allow me to upgrade via make installworld?

Thanks much...

Warner