Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 1996 11:37:38 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu (Chuck Robey)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, PETERS@staidan.qld.edu.au, FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getting started with X programming

Chuck Robey stands accused of saying:

> You know, I hesitated to say this, because I was against using Motif to
> begin with (I don't like the window manager at all) but the books on using

I would have suggested Motif straight off, except that the requirement
was "free".  Motif may not be wonderful, but there's lots of documentation
around on it for sure.

> That book will get you programming in X faster than any other direct C
> method.  Of course, there's nothing wrong with Michael's suggestion, but
> that's a scripting language, not real X (although it may not matter, it it
> looks like a duck, smells like a duck, quacks like a duck, well, it MAY BE
> a duck).

I was suggesting talking to Tk directly from C.  Yes, you need some
Tcl kicking around in your application, but you can get away with
very little. (Part IV of "Tcl and the Tk toolkit" looks at it from a
slightly different perspective.)

> I doon't think you can equate tk widgets with X.  Example: the tk text
> widget.  Fine, dandy widget, but all the neatest parts are PRIVATE!  You
> can't access them directly, you have to go (slowly) thru tcl.  I have no
> idea why those interfaces had to be made static, I really don't.

Namespace and API consistancy issues, I suspect.  Anyway, enough religion.