Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 2003 07:22:33 -0800
From:      Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
To:        barbish@a1poweruser.com
Cc:        Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>, "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@nitro.dk>, freebsd-ipfw@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Error in ipfw manpage for stateful rules?

JoeB wrote:

> That is not the only thing wrong with the example.
> IPFW with NATD does not function with keep-state rules.

Oh, but it does.  It just requires the right set of rules.
This is oft-discussed, and is not a design defect but a
consequence of using two different types of stateful mechanism.

I myself use stateful rules and natd -- some of the ruleset
is quite non-intuitive.

> Just read the IPFW-list archives back through 1/2002 and you will
> get a very clear picture of the problem.

I believe that, if you go further back in the archives, you'll see
I was laboring under the same misunderstanding.

Here's an example:

pub_hosts=outside IP addr list / public net
prv_net= rfc1918 addrs / private net
oif= outside if
iif= inside if

$fw add 02100 set 0 divert natd ip from any to any via $oif
$fw add 02200 set 0 check-state
$fw add 02400 set 0 allow ip from $pub_hosts to any out xmit $oif
$fw add 02450 set 0 deny tcp from any to any established
$fw add 03300 set 0 allow tcp from $prv_net to any in via $iif keep-state setup
$fw add 03400 set 0 allow udp from $prv_net to any keep-state
$fw add 03500 set 0 allow icmp from $prv_net to any