Date:      Mon, 4 Jan 1999 12:40:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        "David W. Chapman Jr." <dchapman@houabg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: sendmail throughput (was: HEADS UP: Postfix is coming. new uid,gid   required.)

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, David W. Chapman Jr. wrote:

> I see where your comming from, but as I believe Mr Tubutis put it, the ideal
> setup would to have the mail list "link" the the news server.  Therefore those
> who still would like the email, can keep it, those who like the news group
> could also use that.  I guess filtering spam or junk mail isn't  my primary
> reason for wanting to switch, I think I can keep my mouth shut when another one
> comes along.  I like the newsgroup because when I go to check my email, I don't
> have to wait a couple of minutes for them all to download.

Yeah, it'd be nice to find a middle ground, but the mailing lists have
to find *some* way of accomplishing the filtering action without
requiring a moderator.  Now it's because most "jerks" (if you understand
the category I'm only roughly defining) haven't got enough long-term
interest to subscribe to a mailing list, although they will drop in and
cause all sorts of problems with a newsgroup.  The sheer volume of plain
profanity on usenet is appalling.

Anyone who can come up with a method like that, well, they'd have a
*much* firmer case to make for newsgroups, then.  Just establishing a
newsgroup, that's going to go over like a lead balloon.  I really hate
watching a thread descend to namecalling.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).