Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 1996 02:22:42 -0600
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: hackers-digest V1 #1415

Hi,

>> > Never, ever, _EVER_ terminate on a drive that is not in the same case as
>> > the controller.
>> why?
>
>Because one day you or someone else will plug another case on the end
>of your chain, terminate it, and then spend hours or days trying to work
>out what's wrong with your I*^(*&^(8&^ SCSI subsystem.

Ok, I can accept that logic.  Had to ask because the way you stated it
I thought you might have a "it will burn out your drive" sort of claim...

Actually I have done this, but it didn't hurt anything, ie terminators
at several points, as well as running without terminators at one end.
On other occasions I have done it and immediately had problems.  There
is a wide variation of tolerance among equipment.  I have also seen
setups where it was impossible to run with internal ribbon cable
and external round cables, had to go to ribbon on both ends.  An impedance
mismatch, I guess.

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD