Date:      Tue, 06 Apr 2004 18:45:36 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Ben Downer <bdown@graffiti.net>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gnome 2.6

--=-RiudaSF9M3kGS9fyD71h

On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 08:36, Ben Downer wrote:
> Hi Mezz,
>=20
> Okay, I tried to install gnome 2.6 on a fresh install of FreeBSD 5.2.1.
>=20
> Following what is outlined here, http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/faq2.h=
tml#q1 , I typed pkg_add -r gnome2, but this installed gnome 2.4 files, and=
 left my machine in a non usable state (ie, new applications requiring old =
libraries).
>=20
> Nuked the system, a new fresh install, try a different approach.
>=20
> setenv PACKAGESITE "http://www.marcuscom.com/tb/packages/5.2.1-GNOME-2.6/=
"
>=20
> pkg_add -r gnome2-2.6.0    (didn't work at all without the version number=
)
>=20
> libgnomecanvas is not installed, so gnome apps don't work.
>=20
> Hopefully its an easy fix somewhere in dependencies, but I seem to have f=
ollowed all the correct steps from everything that I've read, and have gott=
en no where.

Where is the output of the pkg_add (preferrably pkg_add -v)?  Since you
were using PACKAGESITE, you should have set it to:

http://www.marcuscom.com/tb/packages/5.2.1-GNOME-2.6/Latest/=20

Then you could have done pkg_add -r gnome2.

Joe

>=20
> Thankyou,
> Ben