Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 1997 20:41:30 -0500
From:      ringlord@bbs.dcoisp.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   my undying thanks to all!

I would just like to take this time to thank everyone who has assisted
me over the last few days in my installation of FreeBSD.
For those of you who have not followed my threads lately, I am a totally
bind system administrator who wanted to switch over from slackware linux
to freebsd.  Unfortunately, from the things I had been told by other
users in the past, I didn't think that I could route my freebsd box
through a remote serial terminal during the installation process.  Well,
the more I learned from other people on this list, the more I learned
that this was in fact possible, and all I had to do was time the boot:
prompt and hit -h and enter.  Of course, it took a little practice for
me to get the timing down since all I have to go on is sounds of my
floppy drive. :)
It was frustrating for me over the last few weeks, because I was dealing
with someone else as they were trying to get the system installed for
me, because I didn't think I could install this alone with speech access
through a remote serial terminal.
Another thanks for those who helped me and gave advice for setting up my
network configurations in rc.conf.  Once I was able to read all the docs
on the boot floppy, and really "see?" the installation program for
myself, all was well.  Freebsd is installed successfully, and I even
tried the ftp installation.
Once again, thanks to all for your patience.  And for those developers
out there, :) The installation program did go pretty smoothly with
speech, however, it would be nice to have a strictly text-based
installation option with no full screen editing.  Although I was finally
able to navigate around, it would be nice to have something that is
similar to the slackware linux text.gz root disk.  But, all in all,
great work, and thanks again.
Jeremy Hartley