Date:      Fri, 09 Aug 1996 01:30:12 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Hr.Ladavac" <lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.co.at>
Cc:        markd@Grizzly.COM (Mark Diekhans), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What are the plans for ELF support?

> What for?  Is there something that the half-assed[1] GNU ELF support gains
> you that the a.out libraries don't have (remember: we're not Linux, a.out
> libs are really dynamically--read PIC--linked)?

I wouldn't have phrased it quite that way.

There's been experimental work underway for months to make FreeBSD
generate native ELF binaries, and you can even get a pre-release kit
for it all from John Polstra, there's just no rush to *replace* any of
our a.out based stuff with ELF.  As has already been said in this list
many, many times before (and Mark should learn to use the mail archive
search feature at http://www.freebsd.org, using "ELF" as a keyword
;-), we'll only switch to ELF if and when it demonstrates a set of
advantages which outweigh the disadvantages of changing.

					Jordan