Date:      Tue, 07 Mar 2006 09:54:46 -0500
From:      Chad Whitacre <chad@zetaweb.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VFS MFC testers wanted

Jeff,

Kris Kennaway directed me to this thread from FreeBSD-questions. I am
seeing a "panic: unmount: dangling vnode" with 6.0-RELEASE. Here are the
relevant threads:

2 probs w/ backup.sh: "Device busy" and "dangling vnode"
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2006-March/114825.html

"Panic: unmount: dangling vnode"
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2006-March/115060.html

If relevant, I may be able to test your patch, but the problem is
occurring only rarely. Do you have any suggestions for isolating and
reproducing this bug?

Also, we are seeing this problem on a production box. I notice that the
patch fixes 6 issues, and apparently "breaks the kernel ABI," which
sounds nasty from out here in userland. Any chance of getting a patch
that isolates this specific issue? I'll be more likely able to apply
such a patch. Our alternative is to simply keep our backup drive always
mounted until 6.1 comes out and test your patch then. :^)

Thoughts?

Thanks for your work on this.

Chad Whitacre
http://www.zetadev.com/