Date:      Fri, 25 May 2001 14:04:13 +0900
From:      Michael Westbay <westbay@seaple.icc.ne.jp>
To:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [FYI] J2SDK v1.4 works on FreeBSD 4.2

GOTO-san,

> Sun released J2SDK v1.4 Beta for linux.
> [...]
> But in Japanese environment, that gets fail because of IM problem.
> Someone can use it with LANG=ja_JP.EUC?  Would you tell me please.

Try:

    export LANG=ja_JP.eucJP
    export LC_ALL=$LANG
    export LC_MESSAGES=$LANG

Testing demo/jfc/Font2DTest with both ja_JP.EUC and ja_JP.eucJP, I find that
the eucJP works as expected, whereas EUC doesn't paint correctly in edit box
(User text in the Text to use option).

I just so happened to notice man/ja_JP.eucJP when installing, which gave me
the idea to try it (as I usually also have LANG set to ja_JP.EUC).

Further investigation (/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/locale.alias) shows that
ja_JP.EUC is an alias for the full locale name of ja_JP.eucJP.  Since it's an
alias, I would expect either one to work the same, but...

---

By the way, nice article on Cocoon in the last FreeBSD Press.  I wish I'd
have had that a little earlier.  You're not going to do an article on using
Japanese with DocBook soon, are you?  (Particularly, getting Japanese to work
with the fo --> PDF transforms.)

Now, for some more pressing tests of 4.0.0....

Kore kara mo, yoroshiku onegai shimasu.

--
Michael Westbay
Work: Beacon-IT http://www.beacon-it.co.jp/