Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 12:01:48 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Shawn Halpenny <malachai@iname.com>
Cc:        Boris Popov <bp@butya.kz>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: smbfs-1.3.0 released

On Fri, 27 Oct 2000, Shawn Halpenny wrote:

> Speaking of smbfs, has anyone else run into an odd bug using it in
> 4.1.1-STABLE?  Occasionally, if I run 'df' or try to access the
> directories (e.g.  using 'ls') for an smbfs mount after a period
> of time during which there were no accesses across that mount
> point (e.g.  mount, don't touch it for an hour, then try 'df'), my
> machine will reboot after a few seconds.  No panic message or
> anything--it's just like I pressed the reset button.

I've not had it panic on me under those situations, but it does do
weird things.  I think I'd either get an empty directory listing, or
it would say "path too long" or something like that and any relative
path stuff like "cd .." wouldn't work.  I'd have to give a full path
to get where I wanted to go, even if it was the _same_ directory.
I've also had cases where I was drilling down through the directories
in the Save File dialog in Navigator and I would get incomplete
directory listings.  Also, it seems, if I try to save a file that way,
the file ends up corrupted.  If I save it to a local filesystem and
then move it over manually, its fine.  Other than those small
annoyances, it seems to work great.

Oh yeah, I've noticed one more thing.  When you're at the root of a
mount, you can cd into a directory using any case, but if you get the
case wrong, you don't get a listing.  Here's an example:

root@tech43 [/smb/rsisfs1/d]# ls
ADMINNOTIFY/    REB98/          SECURITY/       SHARES/
tmpacls.bat*
CPQIS1/         RECYCLER/       SETACLS.BAT*    TEMP/

root@tech43 [/smb/rsisfs1/d]# cd reb98
root@tech43 [/smb/rsisfs1/d/reb98]# ls
root@tech43 [/smb/rsisfs1/d/reb98]# cd ../REB98
root@tech43 [/smb/rsisfs1/d/REB98]# ls
ARCHIVE/                                PACKAGES/
AUTOEXEC.BAT*                           PCRDIST/
BATCH/                                  REBMIR.LOG*
... and so on ...
root@tech43 [/smb/rsisfs1/d/REB98]# cd packages
packages: No such file or directory.
root@tech43 [/smb/rsisfs1/d/REB98]# cd PACKAGES
root@tech43 [/smb/rsisfs1/d/REB98/PACKAGES]#

So... the case-insensitivity only happens at the root of the mount.
Should it happen everywhere?  It'd be nice if it did. :-)

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For IA32 and Alpha architectures. IA64 and PowerPC under development.
   http://www.freebsd.org