Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 06:31:04 -0500
From:      Jim Bryant <kc5vdj@yahoo.com>
To:        Ron Chen <ron_chen_123@yahoo.com>, mauiusers@supercluster.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, ssic-linux-devel@opensource.compaq.com, linux-ha@muc.de, linux-cluster@nl.linux.org
Subject:   Downloads appear broked...but work...keep hitting "reload"...

Jim Bryant wrote:

> Ron Chen wrote:
> >
> > Sun Grid Engine goes opensource. See SGE home page:
> >
> > http://www.sun.com/gridware
> >
> > -Ron
>
> http://www.sun.com/smi/Press/sunflash/2001-07/sunflash.20010723.1.html
>
> SUN MICROSYSTEMS MAKES SUN[tm] GRID ENGINE SOFTWARE AVAILABLE TO OPEN SOURCE COMMUNITY
>
> Sun Works with CollabNet to Continue its Strong Support of Open Computing and Encourage Adoption of Powerful Grid Computing Model
>
> SAN DIEGO, CA -- O'REILLY OPEN SOURCE CONVENTION -- July 23, 2001 -- Reaffirming its commitment to the open source movement, Sun
> Microsystems, Inc. (NASDAQ: SUNW) announced today the Sun Grid Engine Project, an initiative to offer the source code for Sun[tm]
> Grid Engine software to users and the developer community. Sun Grid Engine software is an advanced distributed resource management
> (DRM) tool. It has been available as a free download at www.sun.com/software/gridware since its introduction in September 2000.
>
> A leader in the open source community, Sun will add this project's half million lines of code to its total of more than 8 million
> lines of code already contributed to open source efforts. Sun is coordinating this worldwide project with CollabNet, a leading
> provider of collaborative software development solutions based on open source concepts, in making the code available for download at
> www.gridengine.sunsource.net.
>
> The project is designed to further remove the cost and implementation barriers associated with deploying DRM software in a compute
> farm. Additionally, both open source users and Sun Grid Engine software customers should benefit from this open source project
> through enhanced industry support. For example, service and support providers should be able to customize the powerful software for
> specific customer needs, and software developers should be able to reduce complexity for end users by creating applications that are
> tightly integrated with Sun Grid Engine software. Over time, the open source effort should facilitate the adoption of open standards
> for DRM software, facilitating interoperability with applications and easing integration.
>
> "As cluster computing scales up towards grid computing, tools like Sun Grid Engine software will become ubiquitous and essential,"
> said Tim O'Reilly, founder and CEO of technology information firm O'Reilly & Associates. "Computing is moving towards the
> development of what you might call an Internet operating system. Sun recognizes that key components of that operating system
> shouldn't be controlled by any one company, and they're putting their money where their mouth is by releasing it as open source."
>
> "Sun will continue to deliver products that support our core philosophy that the network is the computer," said Robbie Turner, vice
> president of Client and Technical Market Products at Sun Microsystems. "Sun is encouraging the grid computing model via free
> [...]

Everybody and their dog must be downloading this.  If you keep getting the java.lang.OutOfMemoryError, just keep hitting
"reload"...  I was just about to give up when it finally worked for me.

-rw-r--r--  1 jbryant  wheel  7735172 Jul 25 06:29 sge-5.3-src.tar.gz

jim
--
ET has one helluva sense of humor!
He's always anal-probing right-wing schizos!