Date:      Sun, 29 Jan 2006 21:40:05 GMT
From:      Mike Durian <durian@shadetreesoftware.com>
To:        openoffice@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/92218: openoffice.org-2.0 build fails with shlibsign core dump

The following reply was made to PR ports/92218; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Mike Durian <durian@shadetreesoftware.com>
To: bug-followup@freebsd.org
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 14:31:18 -0700

 Well, removing lang/gcc-ooo so it could be rebuilt did not help.  I
 still get the unresolved __usleep symbol, but I think I see what
 is really going on.

 I've been using and upgrading FreeBSD for quite a while now and
 there were some symbolic links in /lib dated from 2003 that probably
 should have been removed at some point.  In paticular,
 /lib/libc.so was a link to /lib/libc.so.5

 When building with the stock system compiler, ld searches /usr/lib
 for libraries.  The ld from gcc-ooo search /lib before /usr/lib.
 So when I linked with the system ld it found /usr/lib/libc.so which
 is a link to /lib/libc.so.6.  /lib/libc.so.6 resolves __usleep.

 The ld from gcc-ooo found /lib/libc.so which is a link to libc.so.5.
 libc.so.5 does not resolve __usleep and thus causes the test for
 pthread_create in -lpthread to fail.

 I have removed the symbolic links in /lib and I'll see how thing go.

 Conceivably, it might be worth adjusting the gcc-ooo linker to use the same
 search behavior as the stock system linker to avoid this sort
 of confusion in the future.

 mike