Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 1996 15:39:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, davidg@Root.COM, dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au, SimsS@Infi.Net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some recent changes to GENERIC

On Wed, 10 Jul 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > Agreed with on machines coming off the shelf that way, but most people I
> > know that add an internal modem add it as com3/irq5, since they don't have
> > to figure out how to disable a comm port.  which isn't 4 port, but it also
> > isn't two port.
>
> Most interrupt capable PC software that supports com3: and com4: do so
> by allowing only one of com1:/com3: or com2:/com4: to be open and
> running with interrupts enabled simultaneously.

While I agree that a lot of people don't bother avoiding interrupt
conflict, I have to disagree with the software not allowing for it.  I
honestly can't remember a single program from 5 years of consulting that
allowed for com 3 without letting me specify what IRQ com 3 was on.  Even
Win3.1 (can't speak for older versions) can be set, just not easily.

I've seen a lot more braindead hardware (cheap internal modems) that only
allow for IRQ 3/4.