Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 2006 23:56:35 +0100
From:      "Greg Hennessy" <Greg.Hennessy@nviz.net>
To:        "'Daniel Hartmeier'" <daniel@benzedrine.cx>, =?iso-8859-1?Q?'Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav'?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org, freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Any ongoing effort to port /etc/rc.d/pf_boot, /etc/pf.boot.conf from NetBSD ?

=20
> I'm not sure the average user _really_ is worried enough=20
> about that half a second period on boot. But I DO know there=20
> will be people locking themselves out from far-away remote=20
> hosts (on updates, for instance) if this becomes the default.

That is pretty much guaranteed. Murphy will always find a way to f*ck up =
reboot and simultaneously cause the 2611 on the console port to halt and
catch fire.=20

If punters want a default block, IMHO it doesn=92t get much easier than =
using
the mac_ifoff(4) kernel option discussed earlier on in the week, they =
can
tweak the pf startup to twiddle the relevant sysctl appropriately at the
right moment in time.=20

In order to salve the consciences of those who know naught but tick =
boxes,
and more importantly make them STFU and annoy someone else.=20

Perhaps a codicil to the FreeBSD pf.conf manpage, detailing the =
mac_ifoff
approach as a wholly unsupported solution for 'default block' to satisfy =
the
anally retentive.=20

Greg