Date:      Fri, 07 Apr 1995 13:29:32 -0700
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert), jkh@freefall.cdrom.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SNAP boot problem

>>>>> "Terry" == Terry Lambert <terry@cs.weber.edu>
>>>>> "sab" == Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>

 sab> I've tried using both RAWRITE & RAWRITE3 from the tools/dos-tools
 sab> directory to put a gunzip'd boot.flp.gz onto a 3.5" diskette, then boot
 sab> from that.

 Terry> Try using an unzipped image in the first place (instead of unzipping
 Terry> a zipped image (maybe the zipped version is corrupt?)

I've now tried that.  I've tried various combinations of:

    2.0-950322-SNAP boot.flp
    2.0-950210-SNAP boot.flp

and

    my home PC (P5-90, DOS 6.22): tools/dos-tools/rawrite.exe (i.e. v1.2)
    home PC (DOS): tools/dos-tools/rawrite3.zip (i.e. the v1.3 .exe file in there)
    home PC (Linux): dd if=boot.flp bs=8192 of=/dev/fd0

Today, at work, I made some floppies using

    SunOS 4.x SPARC: dd if=boot.flp bs=8192 of=/dev/rfd0c
    work PC (486/66, NT 3.1): rawrite (v1.2)

And I'll give those a try.  I'll try pulling as many cards out of my home
PC as I can get away with to see if maybe there is some funky interaction
there, but since I don't know what happens when, I don't know if it is
even getting far enough to care what cards I've got in my PC.  At the
moment, I've got things connected like this:

        Pentium-90; 16 Mb RAM; 256K cache
        CAF Tech motherboard / SiS chipset / Award 4.50G BIOS
        PCI IDE - boot disk
        NCR 8150S PCI SCSI - Toshiba 3501 CDROM
        Adaptec AHA1542B SCSI (ISA) - Exabyte EXB-8200 8mm drive
        ATI Mach64 (2Mb)/17" display
        Sound Blaster AWE32
        floppy/2S/1P/game card
         one 3.5" floppy drive; no 5.25" floppy drive

I can try pulling the 2 SCSI cards and the SB AWE32 to see if I can get
the boot disc to fly.  Is there anything in that configuration that looks
like a red flag to somebody?

 Terry> There are recent floppy changes.  Jordan can point you at newer binaries.

Would they have been put in the 2.0-950322-SNAP/floppies directory?  I
remember seeing some messages about this on one of the lists, but can't
remember the final word on them.

Looking for hints, clues, more caffeine, nirvana, help...

Scott Blachowicz    Ph: 206/283-8802x240    StatSci, a div of MathSoft, Inc.
                                            1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                           Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org