Date:      Fri, 18 May 2001 11:39:14 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, <cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org>, <cvs-all@FreeBSD.org>, <current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Where to put include files (was: cvs commit: src Makefile.inc1)

On Thu, 17 May 2001, Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <200105171233.f4HCXhb62786@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org> Brian
> Somers writes:
> : Solaris calls it's ioctl files /usr/include/sys/<driver>_io.h so I'd
> : spell digiio.h /usr/include/sys/digi_io.h.
>
> Actually, the more I think about it, the more I like putting it in
> /usr/include/sys/fooio.h.  We have lots of other files there now.  The
> down side to this approach is that it breaks up the driver sources
> that we've been trying to concentrate into sys/dev/foo/* (or
> introduces asymetry such that you can't just toss in a -I/sys and have
> the same tree that gets stuck under /usr/include).

I quite like the fact that the programming interface <sys/fooio.h> is
separated from the driver implementation. There is less chance that the
driver writer will expose irrelavent implementation details in the API,
which in turn makes for a more stable ABI.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Phone: +44 20 8348 6160