Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 1997 09:34:47 +1000 (EST)
From:      Simon Coggins <chaos@ultra.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cyrix 6x686 M2 MMX P166+, and kernel panic bug Solved!

Okie since I had no replies from anyone that I didn't have before (Thank you
to all those that did reply I tried them all and to no avail).

So I decided to get down and dirty and hack the kernel.. Well with the help
of the debugger and alittle poking around I found it..

The debugger reported:

Stop at identblue+0x31:      wrmsr

Trace showed:
identblue()
finishidentcpu()
init386()

I went into sys/i386/386/identcpu.c and changed the identblue() function to
always return 0 (as i know my Chip isn't a blue lighting).

My kernel now boots fine and I haven't seen any ill effects from it yet..
the CPU is also detected properly Altho the Speed is alittle slow. But I
don't understand how that is calculated so I'll leave it up to the real
hackers :)

Hope that helps someone..

PS for those fbsd guys if this is any help i also got the cyrixreg values:
CCR0=2
CCR1=82
CCR2=80
CCR3=0CR0=80000011