Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 1995 17:01:53 -0500
From:      "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        kline@tao.thought.org (Gary D. Kline)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ANSI/POSIX (?) question....

<<On Thu, 14 Dec 1995 13:26:45 -0800 (PST), kline@tao.thought.org (Gary D. Kline) said:

> What does this syntax signify:

> 	extern const char *const sys_siglist[];

`declare sys_siglist as const array [] of pointer to const char'

> 	extern char *sys_siglist[];?

`declare sys_siglist as array [] of pointer to char'

> In particular, what does the "*const sys_siglist[] buy that the
> "*sys_siglist[]" doesn't?   Why would not:

It disallows modification of the array.

> 	extern const char *sys_sylist[];

`declare sys_siglist as array [] of pointer to const char'

> suffice to tell the compiler that sys_siglist[] is an array of
> constant character pointers?

It's not.  An array of constant character pointers would be:

	extern char *const sys_siglist[];

An array of pointers to constant characters is:

	extern const char *sys_siglist[];

An array of constant pointers to constant characters is:

	extern const char *const sys_siglist[];

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.