Date:      Sat, 22 May 1999 11:47:16 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Roger <shadow@net-ten.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: About KDE 1.1

On Fri, May 21, 1999 at 08:08:14PM -0300, Roger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Eveytime I click on the CD Player button in the KDE,  it runs the program but only a few seconds after closes suddenly,
> so that I cannot test my CD-ROM.

What is your CD-ROM device? kscd uses /dev/matcd0 as it's default
CD device (the *proprietry* Panasonic/Matsushita interface!). If
you don't have one it core dumps.

You can override this, but it's a catch 22. You need an entry in
ksdrc, but that is empty until you run kscd for the first time.

The file is ~/.kde/share/config/kscdrc and the entry you need is:

    [General]
    CDDevice=/dev/cd0c

Note that you need the section heading ([General]). If this doesn't
work (it did with KDE 1.0) then just ``rm /dev/matcd0'' and make
it a symlink to your real CD device. Someone mentioned a while ago
that they needed to use the raw device (rmatcd0 and rcd0 or whatever
is correct for your CD). Maybe this is a difference between v1.0
and v1.1?

In 1.0 there was also a problem with CDDB (the track list database).
This is an email I found in one of the KDE mailing lists detailing
it, maybe it's fixed in 1.1 though: