Date:      Mon, 25 Oct 1999 16:35:17 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: a desirable fetaure: syscons reset utility

>I think that many of us have experienced Xserver crashes that
>leave the console (display, keyboard, or both) in a unusable state.
>Then, we log into the system from a serial terminal or another
>networked host and... now what? There is no way for resetting the
>console, turning it usable again (or there is?). A small utility capable
>of resetting the console would be very useful. What do you think
>about this idea, Mr Yokota? :-)

Try running the following sequence of commands.

	vidcontrol -s 0 < /dev/ttyv0
	vidcontrol 80x25 < /dev/ttyv0
	kbd_mode -a < /dev/ttyv0

The above sequence MIGHT work.  But, sadly, it won't, in general.
There isn't a reliable way of `resetting' video hardware once the X
server has messed up with it.

Kazu