Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 1996 12:27:24 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        mark@linus.demon.co.uk, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, nate@sri.MT.net
Subject:   Re: Building inside of /usr/src?

> I would like to point to breaking documented behaviour of obj.machine,
> obj and MAKEOBJDIR, but this behaviour seems to be undocumented.  The
> man page only documents the use of MAKEOBJDIR (not what it does) and
> the tutorial doesn't mention anything to do with obj directories (not
> even ${.OBJDIR}).

Thanks for noting this - I *did* indeed RTFM on this to see what the
conventions were and when I saw that nothing was mandating that
MAKEOBJDIR be a relative path, I figured I wasn't breaking any of the
published interfaces by changing it.  However, I can say that if it's
just the change to MAKEOBJDIR which is sticking in people's craws, I
*can* change it to something else - it's only referenced in one or two
places and trivial to change.  I simply didn't want to add yet another
variable to the mix when an old one could be chaned, but if people
really do want a new OBJBASEDIR variable or something (suggestions
accepted :-) then at this point I'm more than happy to give it to
them.  I still think that this variable, whatever it is, should be set
in sys.mk since we already set things like the X11BASE there.

					Jordan