Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 1997 23:03:12 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   make -k oddities

When I do a make -k for a port that I don't have (and can't get) the
dist file for, then it will try to fetch and fail.  Once it fails it
will then try to patch, which it shouldn't do.

I'm running this on OpenBSD amd was wondering if others had seen this
problem or not on FreeBSD.  I've not tried it on FreeBSD due to
network pipe problems (that is, I need bigger ones).

I've also seen weird things where sometimes it would fetch things
twice, mysteriously hang when failing back to ftp.freebsd.org (but
only sometimes, and sometimes after < 64k was trasnferred) and a few
other sh related oddities.

If you've seen any of these things on FreeBSD, please let me know.
Otherwise, I think I have to assume that many of them are broken on
OpenBSD and be bummed.

Thank you for your time and efforts in this area.

Warner