Date:      Sat, 15 Jan 2011 22:09:34 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <gcooper@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Pieter de Goeje <pieter@degoeje.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-sysinstall@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSDInstall: merging to HEAD

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 7:59 PM, Pieter de Goeje <pieter@degoeje.nl> wrote:
> On Saturday 15 January 2011 16:50:03 Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
>> On 01/15/11 00:30, Pieter de Goeje wrote:
>> > 2) The Partition Editor's confirmation dialog has two options "Don't
>> > Save" and "Cancel"; it is unclear what the difference between the two is.
>> > AFAICT "Don't Save" really means "Cancel installation", and "Cancel"
>> > really means "Re-edit" (I'm sure there's a better word for that).
>>
>> How abort renaming "Don't Save" to "Abort?"
>
> Hmm, is there enough room for "Abort installation"? Just to remove any
> confusion :-)

Abort installation for a button label is too long. Why not just KISS and say:

 --------------------------
| Abort installation? |
| < Yes >    < No >  |
 --------------------------

? Of course I would expect everything that was changed to be
rescinded, if at all possible, at least so I could do a clean install
next time if I chose to do so.

>> > 4) The Complete dialog doesn't say that it will reboot after pressing OK
>> > and gives you no oppertunity to remove the media, so the user will boot
>> > straight back into the installer (depends on bios settings).
>>
>> The first issue is easy to fix. The second is a little tricky to do in
>> the context of booting from a live CD. You can't remove the media while
>> the kernel is running because it's the root filesystem. I'm not sure
>> what the best solution is.
>
> I am thinking out loud here, but wouldn't it be possible to hand off the task
> of showing the final "Complete" dialog (or the stuff that needs to be done
> afterwards) to a process which is run from an md device? It could then
> unmount root and possibly even eject the CD.

    I believe the term you're looking for is mfsroot (coming up with
the minor magic from loader.rc, etc is trivial). You don't need to
unmount root (init(8) will take care of that for you as part of a
standard shutdown). The only thing that might need to be done is add
the ioctl call that's done with sysinstall to BSDinstall to eject the
CD drive try. It's a trivial one-liner with an if-statement, plus one
error catching statement (it's a bit more complicated with sysinstall
because it's a mess, but I think anyone who has looked at the code
would understand that).

>> > 5) Pressing cancel in the NIC setup dialog doesn't cancel the
>> > installation but continues it without configuring a NIC. Perhaps this
>> > could be clarified in the dialog text.
>>
>> There are several steps like this. The add user, services, keymap,
>> tzsetup, and root password screens can also be canceled (by design). I'm
>> not sure what the optimal way to signal this to the user is. Beat Gaetzi
>> has suggested renaming cancel buttons on cancelable parts of the
>> installation to "Skip". The dialog title text could have have (optional)
>> appended to it or something. The way I had tried to do it is that things
>> that cannot be safely canceled (mostly) don't have cancel buttons right
>> now.
>
> "Skip" instead of "Cancel" sounds like an excellent idea.

    Agreed, but you may or may not want to print out a warning about
stuff not being setup, go read the Handbook, etc etc.
Thanks,
-Garrett