Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 1995 17:31:03 +0000 ()
From:      Carlos Amengual <amengual@sadeya.cesca.es>
To:        Piero Serini <piero@strider.ibenet.it>
Cc:        piero@strider.ibenet.it, hostmaster@host.bemarnet.es, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with mail reception

(This message is here at the risk of boring everyone; I apologize :)

On Thu, 9 Nov 1995, Piero Serini wrote:

> > more machines under the domain. In fact, it is the preferred procedure at
> > many places. My own machine is arranged this way.
>
> And  it  will  NOT  *send* e-mail as antonio@bemarnet.es. Please,
> read the question again, and again, and note this part:  "I  need
> to send and receive mail using addresses like antonio@bemarnet.es
>   ^^^^^^
> instead of antonio@host.bemarnet.es".

Look at my "From:" field. It is amengual@sadeya.cesca.es, and not
amengual@blanco.sadeya.cesca.es (if it is, I have some relativistic
problem here). And look at the From field from Antonio: It is
"Antonio Navarro Navarro <hostmaster@bemarnet.es>".

> > Many people does not use m4 at all to configure sendmail. Of course, it is
>
> Wrong!  Sendmail  is configured that way. I do know tat you tweak
> an existant sendmail.cf file, but the *correct* way to do  it  is
> to use the cf/ tree.

As I mentioned, it is likely that many people will not have it, and
most do not really need it to configure sendmail. If your existing
sendmail.cf does things well for you, the temptation to "incrementally"
modifying it is high, even if you have the m4 files at hand.

> > generally perfectly adequate to use the MASQUERADE_AS macro, but it likely
> > does no more than putting a DM symbol definition in the .cf file. This is
>
> Wrong!!!!!  Many  rewriting  rules  change  if you masquerade!!!!

I will look at the macro definition (sorry, that's the developer approach),
though it seems unlikely that the file produced will be so different from
the initial one.

> Configure a sendmail in the right way, i.e. use m4 and  then  use
> diff to see it yourself.

I do have sendmail configured the "right" way: the way I need to do less
changes and I feel more safe with.

> Wrong! Any customization can be done in the .mc file, and this
> is the right way to do it.
>
> > Your method is only one approach, not the only one as you imply.
>
> Wrong! Using m4 is the only *correct* approach.

I have never seen, in any book, that only m4 is correct. Every people I know
deals directly with the sendmail.cf file. The real point is if you are
reasonably confident of what you are doing and, finally, if things work
after all. It is not so hard to add rules and mailers by hand in the raw
file.

As this is falling to "style matters", I suggest that any response should be
left out of the poor bored people in the mailing list, if you agree, now that
Antonio's problem is (unsurprisingly, ignoring us) solved (by the way I
suggested :)

Cheers,

Carlos