Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 2002 20:45:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kip Macy <kip_macy@yahoo.com>
To:        Alp ATICI <atici@math.columbia.edu>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: icc status on FreeBSD

I wouldn't necessarily get too excited about using icc
for compiling operating systems. The company I work
for
uses gcc for compiling its file server OS.  People
their have, however, experimented with using icc for
builds. When they used feedback profiling from SFS
i.e. to determine which branches are likely taken,
(all standard benchmark disclaimers apply) they saw a
17% performance increase. As of 3.0.3 gcc also
supports feedback profiling, and using it they also
saw a 17% performance increase over a stock gcc
compile. Without optimization the stock icc build
performs worse than the gcc build.

Your mileage may of course vary. My point is just that
icc does not appear to perform any wonders for systems
code.

			-Kip