Date:      Sun, 10 Mar 2002 16:32:03 +0000
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
To:        Seth Murray <smurray@comboard.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.3 -> 4.5 upgraded. How to upgrade rest of system so I can	rebuild kernel?

Seth Murray wrote:

>Recently upgraded from FBSD 4.3 to 4.5. Downloaded the floppies and used the
>upgrade option.
>
>A generic kernel was created (as I was told would be the case for the
>upgrade). However, the system won't allow me to create a new config file and
>a new kernel since the other system resources are not in-sync. I'd like to
>do this to take advantage of the multiple processors and natd stuff we have
>going on.
>
>What is an easy way -- if there is one -- of getting the rest of the system
>in sync so I can rebuild the kernel? We have a good Internet connection, so
>an ftp source is fine.

I've never used the binary upgrade option (using sysinstall) that you
have opted for, so I'm not sure what the pitfalls are, but did you
install the new source when you upgraded? Otherwise you will be left
with the old 4.3 source when you need the 4.5 source if you want to
build yourself a new kernel. The source will only be installed with the
"Developer" or "Kern-developer" distributions.

The best way to update your source would probably be to use cvsup. Check
out http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html
You can get the 4.5-RELEASE source by using tag=RELENG_4_5_0_RELEASE .
You should note, however, that this is going to get you the complete
system source and if you only want the kernel source the best way maybe
to use /stand/sysinstall again to download the kernel source
distribution. But as I said, I've personally never used that before.

Andrew.